We photographed Karl in these vintage Tura frames from the 1950s. These aluminum frames featured wide, rectangular lenses, a rounded nose-bridge, and thick, motor-inspired temples that were indicative of men’s glasses from that time. Tura is actually the company that first patented aluminum frames, bringing them to market in 1947.
Originally sold out of a dispensary on Madison Avenue in New York, Tura glasses were marketed as both “medical necessity and fashion accessory.” Their frames would often come packaged with jewelry for women, and matching cufflinks for men. Karl found this pair at Fabulous Franny’s on the Lower East Side.